Have you caught my series on KITCHENS?.... To support and expand on that series, I'm doing a set of reBlogs that you may also want to check out. Here is one by TANYA SPOTTS that I especially like because it deals with remodeling GREEN!
I have several clients who just remodeled their bathrooms and kitchens. Before doing anything, I suggested they look at some websites and search for some new ideas to possibly do to green their home. No, I did not suggest avocado green for their appliances, but green as in "eco-friendly."
Let's get thinking GREEN!
So, what can you do to "Green" your Kitchen? The GoodLife Team wrote a wonderful article about this very topic. I just had to pass it on! Thanks to The Goodlife Team for helping to keep us in the loop and greening our country!
"There are actually quite a few ways to be kind to the environment without sacrificing aesthetics or comfort. Take a look at a few ideas from www.kitchenremodeling.net.
- Energy-efficient Appliances. Today, you can find energy-efficient models for all of your kitchen appliances. Look for the http://www.energystar.gov rating or other certified efficient choices. Also, look for rebates as this may enable you to purchase a more expensive energy-efficient model for a similar net price as a less-efficient version.
- Energy-efficient Lighting. Look for ways to increase the natural light into your kitchen in order to cut down on electricity requirements. When you choose your lighting, keep in mind that compact florecents (CFLs) use a fraction of the electricity as incandescent bulbs. Although they are more expensive, they are advertised to last 8 times as long and cut down on your utility bills. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp
- Green Cabinets. No, we are not talking color here. Today, there are many cabinet choices made out of renewable resources and recycled materials. Look for LEED-certified construction and consider FSC-certified woods, NAUF plywoods, or bamboo as a few choices. And, use low VOC glues, adhesives and finishes in order to have non-toxic cabinetry that optimizes indoor air quality. Here is a local company committed to green: http://www.houseandearth.com/blog/eco-friendly-green-cabinetry-everything-you-want-out-cabinetry-just-healthier
- Green Products. Don't sacrifice design and modern style for sustainability. Today's green products are being designed with aesthetics in mind. Green products may include: bamboo, cork, concrete, recycled glass tiles, plant-based carpet, recycled patterned linoleum. Cork is a fun choice for flooring today: http://www.corkfloor.com/. Oh, and don't forget to keep those green products sparkling with non-toxic, green cleaners.
- Non-toxic Materials. Use hypo-allergenic materials that are not toxic and will therefore not harm the indoor air quality of your home. Look for low-toxicity finishes and water or plant-based adhesives and finishes that avoid synthetic formaldehyde resins. Choose paints that have low-VOC or no-VOC (volatile organic compounds).
- Green Contractors. This is key. Choose a contractor who is as passionate and committed to green as you are. Choosing a contractor that is not familiar with Green Construction will thwart your best intentions. "
I will be happy to give you the names of contractors who are part of my Home Service Connection Team!
Look for me on Facebook Loudoun Real Estate Spots!
Tanya Spotts This Blog "quacks "me up
Multimillion Dollar Top Producer SUBSCRIBE HERE
This Spot's For You! ( http://ThisSpotsForYou.com )
Long & Foster Realtors
508 E. Market St., Leesburg, VA 20176
Cell Phone: 703-618-1218
Office Tel: 703-777-2900
Office Fax: 703-777-5627
L&F Office Green Ambassador
Your Home for Today and Tomorrow- Smart UP-Fitting
GO HERE - for Tips & Talking Points.
Home Decorating, New Space Design
"Helpful starting points for talking about and designing
a functional and BEAUTIFUL lifelong home."
Asheville NC Real Estate Journal for RESOPURCES & REFERRALS -Mountain Homes and Land Legacies- Asheville 1031 Realty© 2014. Designations: NAR GREEN®, EcoBroker®, Eco Certified ®Real Estate Consultant, ePRO®. Unauthorized reproduction of any information including photos and graphics on this site is a violation of existing copyright laws. All rights reserved.
he Necessary Disclaimer! We disclaim liability for damages or losses, direct or indirect that may result from use of or reliance on, information contained in the blog or for accuracy of comments or opinions of visitors to our blogs.
* INFORMED CHOICES* THOUGHTFUL ADVICE* DATA INTERPRETATION*
-Tell us what is most important to you-
Email me janeAnne@janeAnne.com or give a call at: 828-776-0779