Part II. SUN POWER.
It is amazing how we have evolved over the years. These days, we can pull together a stylish, comfortable, and beautiful "palace" that is also non-toxic and eco-friendly. Here in Asheville, we are really getting into Solar Power.
Just today I heard about a Hands-on Workshop: Building a Solar Water Heater, that will take place at the Long Branch Environmental Education Center.
Here, ladies and lords, you can learn about a solar design even RA may have envied. It is "the essence of simplicity: Put water holding tanks in an insulated box, with glass on the side facing south and fill it with water. No moving parts, nothing to break down, free fuel and no pollution."
You do NOT need building skills (though architects, engineers, and building contractors are welcome), and you will be most welcome. Workshop leader is a solar designer, inventor, and builder with tons of experience who holds an international patent on a unique solar device.
Expect to discover:
- Basic Design Principles- radiation, available solar energy in various parts of U.S., emmitance, absorption, reflection, transmissivity, reflector types, conduction, convection
- IPSWH Design - placement, performance related to slope and orientation, color, heat retention, glazing layers, shutters, shades, insulation, reflectors, sizing, hot water needs, backup system, construction, concepts for virtually free solar water heaters, concepts for advanced solar water heaters
- Operating an IPSWH - reflector adjustment, open lids, conservation or staging of hot water use
- Backup Heating - wood stoves and heaters, gas, electric, flash heaters
- Building Your Own - step by step guide to designing and building your own solar water heater including safety considerations
If you cannot come to see us in Asheville, you may want to connect with the Long Branch Environmental Education Center. For more on solar power, see Mary's re-blog guest post that follows one or two below this!
Read GREENOLINA'S newsabout mountain and valley neighborhoods, real estate, local day trips, picnics, and ecotourist attractions you'll just love. Curious about green building, remodeling and green communities ? You can start here ...Then...Subscribe to Greenolina's "Green Wheels" BLOG.
(*)/'(*) .......... ............and always remember that " poets are soldiers that liberate words from the steadfast possession of definition." -Eli Khamarov ... We are in a sustainable world, so dream that world and make it happen!. ......................... .............
The Eco-Steward Firm, Eco-Certified® Real Estate Consultants Copyright © 2008 All Rights Reserved
Your Home for Today and Tomorrow- Smart UP-Fitting
GO HERE - for Tips & Talking Points.
Home Decorating, New Space Design
"Helpful starting points for talking about and designing
a functional and BEAUTIFUL lifelong home."
Asheville NC Real Estate Journal for RESOPURCES & REFERRALS -Mountain Homes and Land Legacies- Asheville 1031 Realty© 2014. Designations: NAR GREEN®, EcoBroker®, Eco Certified ®Real Estate Consultant, ePRO®. Unauthorized reproduction of any information including photos and graphics on this site is a violation of existing copyright laws. All rights reserved.
he Necessary Disclaimer! We disclaim liability for damages or losses, direct or indirect that may result from use of or reliance on, information contained in the blog or for accuracy of comments or opinions of visitors to our blogs.
* INFORMED CHOICES* THOUGHTFUL ADVICE* DATA INTERPRETATION*
-Tell us what is most important to you-
Email me janeAnne@janeAnne.com or give a call at: 828-776-0779