Let's Get Together and Relax! The Sustainable North Carolina GREEN Homes & Land Way...
dateline~ Asheville, North Carolina(Buncombe County).
Would you agree that there's a lot happening
around the world these days? --
A lot happening around the U.S.A., in Your State, Your Home Town, and in Your Neighborhood? Sometimes all that's happening could make your toes curl...if it were not for a timely sojourn down to the "pond" ...to which the gentleman pictured to your right will undoubtedly attest!. "Let's get together and just relax for a bit...Carolina Home Style," he'll tell you. " Happenings from that prespective can be remedies to everyday stress."
YOU ARE HEREBY INVITED to relax North Carolina green and sustainable home-style and join us down at the River --if even just for a little while or just via the WWW... even if it's just for today, WELCOME HOME to Asheville, North Carolina where the people are generous, the mountains are intriguing, the men, women and children love to laugh, and there is plenty of room for YOU to expand your dreams and ideas, brighten your days and feed your heart and soul .
Here in YOUR homeplace, (whether it be virtual or real) we love the idea of stewardship. Our News and Events columnist dedicates her energy to focusing on positive futures, a sustainable community, nature, and eco-wise development in the homes and land department.
~ Y'ALL COME ON OVER AND VISIT~
- The Smith-McDowell House Museum . It is all set for A V ICTORIAN EASTER CELEBRATION . Did you know that in the Victorian era Easter officially welcomed the Spring season? This Victorian era mansion circa 1840 heralds Spring in that tradition with old-fashioned Easter bunnies and chicks, Easter baskets, spring flowers, hand-decorated Easter eggs, and period-inspired decorations. Kids of all ages will delight in this authentic celebration.
- Members and visitors to the North Carolina Arboretum, you will be delighted to get the latest scoop on what's happening at this center for education, research, conservation and economic development, a 434-acre public garden located within the Bent Creek Experimental Forest of the Pisgah National Forest. Surrounded by the dense folds of the botanically diverse Southern Appalachian Mountains, the Arboretum is nestled in one of the most beautiful natural garden settings in America. Established in 1986 by the General Assembly as an inter-institutional facility of the University of North Carolina, the Arboretum came into existence nearly a century after this country's father of landscape architecture, Frederick Law Olmsted, (probably urged on by our beloved landscape architect, Charles Eliot ) first envisioned such an institution near our HOMETOWN.
~HAPPENINGS THIS MONTH~
- Creating a Beautiful Home Landscape - The North Carolina Arboretum presents a six part series on "Creating a Beautiful Home Landscape. Forest Trails Walk - This guided tour takes visitors through different types of forest environments in an exploration of natural history. Wear walking shoes and dress in layers. :-) Nature Activities for Kids. Everyone can check out a Discovery Day Pack with binoculars, magnifying glasses and other items children of all ag es can use to explore the Arboretum's trails and gardens. Gardening in the Mountains-Gardening with Ferns and Mosses. We can hardly wait to learn about this! It is offered in cooperation with Buncombe County Cooperative Extension and regional Master Gardeners. Great Trees in the Landscape. Join retired Forester, Jim Webb, as he leads an informative walk through the Arboretum, highlighting great trees for the landscape. Wildflower Walk. Join Arboretum volunteer, Paula Robbins, on a 4-mile hike along Arboretum trails in search of early spring wildflowers. Wear sturdy shoes, bring water, and be prepared for the weather.
- Asheville Area Music Together Classes - Music Together is about making music...every day! Fun family-style multi-generational classes are the gift of percussionist and piano teacher Kari Richmond. If you are a kid or a kid at heart, this could be the thrill of your day! Bridging the Cultural Gap- Montreat College'sHamilton Gallery offers a mixture of paintings and photographs on exhibition. "Bridging the Cultural Gap," features artists Mickey Buckwalter and Lorelle Bacon who strive to provide an opportunity for people to learn about other cultures. Their vision is that through cultural education, world peace might be achieved-- a noble mission , indeed! The Raindrop Waltz- Asheville Community Theatre written by Sylva, NC, native and folklorist, Gary Carden, is based on his Jackson County childhood. THIS amazing storyteller has the gift to "blend humor with poignancy, a blend that allows him to bring to the reader the great themes of human existence - love, death, bravery, fear, desire, success, failure - without having to beat the reader over the head with these themes" by the Smoky Mountain News.
For the Eco-Wise (<- This is our logo)
- TWO UPCOMING GREEN BUILDING 101 COURSES: Heating & Cooling (HVAC) Systems April 11 and Green Home Renovations April 25! SEE calendarfor details and on-line registration.
- CHANGE A LIGHT, CHANGE THE WORLD CAMPAIGN IN BUNCOMBE COUNTY! The Town of Black Mountainregistered for this Energy Star Campaign. How cool is it that their town-wide goal is switching 10,000 incandescent bulbs to CFL's in 2007! YOU can take the Energy Star pledge mo matter where you live by clicking on the link we posted. GET YOUR WATER CONSERVATION KIT via the Western North Carolina Green Builiding Council! WNCGBC is now selling $5 water conservation kits for your home, apartment, or office. They include a flow meter bag, low flow shower head and faucet aerators, toilet bag, and leak detector tablets that save water, energy and money!
- RENEWABLE ENERGY & ENERGY EFFICIENCY TAX CREDITS REVISED DEC 2006. Read more from DSIRE, the Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency. Existing federal tax credits and NC tax credits are available to help pay for energy efficiency and renewable energy for new and existing homes as well as commercial buildings.
That's it for April. Please check back next month. And let me know what you think!
All the Best,
janeAnne ~ Green-o-Lina
Your Home for Today and Tomorrow- Smart UP-Fitting
GO HERE - for Tips & Talking Points.
Home Decorating, New Space Design
"Helpful starting points for talking about and designing
a functional and BEAUTIFUL lifelong home."
Asheville NC Real Estate Journal for RESOPURCES & REFERRALS -Mountain Homes and Land Legacies- Asheville 1031 Realty© 2014. Designations: NAR GREEN®, EcoBroker®, Eco Certified ®Real Estate Consultant, ePRO®. Unauthorized reproduction of any information including photos and graphics on this site is a violation of existing copyright laws. All rights reserved.
he Necessary Disclaimer! We disclaim liability for damages or losses, direct or indirect that may result from use of or reliance on, information contained in the blog or for accuracy of comments or opinions of visitors to our blogs.
* INFORMED CHOICES* THOUGHTFUL ADVICE* DATA INTERPRETATION*
-Tell us what is most important to you-
Email me janeAnne@janeAnne.com or give a call at: 828-776-0779